Saturday, April 30, 2016

A Wide World of Comics

The film we watched for this week’s class was a great summary of what I think encompasses European comics. Sylvian Chomet’s Triplets of Belleville was a beautifully exaggerated (almost disturbingly so) animation. I think a lot of European comics put a lot of artistic consideration in their work. The film is completely free of dialogue, but it still holds up compared to any other animation. I feel that the European art scene wholly accepts a variety of styles in general, at least in comparison to America. The only embraced animation style in America is the Pixar/Disney look, which many of my friends from Computer Animation vehemently despise.

For this week, I read Blacksad by Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido. While both creators are Spanish, I’ve come to understand that their target audience was for French audiences. I really appreciate how meticulous Guarnido’s artistry comes into play for the comic. As an illustrator, I really like the variety of art styles that the French market embraces, and Blacksad is no exception.




In class, we also compared Blacksad to Zootopia; where both works of art use animals to portray a human world. Both are also noir-inspired stories that have themes of racism throughout the story. I suppose the difference is that Zootopia is much happier of a story than Blacksad is.


No comments:

Post a Comment