Saturday, April 30, 2016

Stereotypes and the Ethics of Representation


As an Asian American woman, I not only have been subjected to stereotypes, but I have caught myself projecting stereotypes onto myself. Stereotypes aren’t necessarily a bad thing; in fact, I think they are just innately instilled within the human psyche.  However, stereotypes become a problem once it becomes institutionalized. It gives people an idea of who I am based on how history has portrayed me; and because of my race, I’m expected from other people to follow this stereotype. I’ve grown tired of being told that because I am Asian, I don’t have to worry about racism as much as other minorities do. But there is a significant amount of emasculation and orientalism I’ve seen that don’t make it any better for people for someone of my culture.

Every time my father would come back from his business trips at America, he would buy Archie digests by the dozen. I envied their Western, perfect American lifestyle and I often found myself desiring to be as white as the characters in the comics were. It wasn’t until I was older that it hit me; there was literally no representation in Archie. But the world isn’t just white people; it’s extremely diverse, and the lack of representation in comics is extremely important to a minority such as myself.
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang wasn’t just a good comic, it was extremely relatable. And I think it’s important to be able to relate to characters in whatever medium – comics, games, movies, and books. It’s unfortunate that in this day and age, there is still a lack of representation for minorities.



I don’t agree with Eisner’s idea of representation. We have a responsibility to change these institutionalized ideas of people of different identities. I think what happens most often is that people just want to make excuses for following stereotypes, when all you’d have to do is break off the norm and rise above the conventions.


No comments:

Post a Comment